ভাপা রুই: Bhapa Rui Mach | Bengali Rohu Fish Recipe That You Must Try!
This Bengali fish recipe of bhapa rui is probably one of the healthiest preparations of all. It is steamed, with a minimum of spices and helps retain the flavour and goodness of the fish intact while cooking.
For as long as I can remember, fish has been a compulsory side-dish for lunches at home. There would be rice accompanied with a serving of dal or lentils, a sabji or vegetable side dish and a fish to fulfil our daily protein need.
Though we have a wide range of Bengali fish recipes to choose from. For regular meals, most of the time we would get Rohu or rui mach. Reason being its availability in abundance at much cheaper rates.
There is no getting around this fact that we Bengalis cannot live without our daily share of fish in our meals. So, at one point of time it becomes imperative to look for a source of protein that is easily available and equally good in taste. Rui mach or rohu fish ticks all boxes in the criteria list. This riverine fish is sweet in taste and perfectly complements the flavors it is cooked with. Whether it is the pungency of mustard seeds or tartness of yogurt, this fish is the man-friday of all.
This Bengali fish recipe is probably one of the easiest as well and can be cooked within 20 minutes tops. Needless to say, it has saved me on many hurried mornings or when I am expecting guests at short notice.
How to make Bhapa Rui recipe – Ingredient list
- Rui Mach or Rohu Fish, an alternate would be Basa, Barramundi, or any other freshwater fish
- Mustard seeds
- Mustard Oil
- Poppy seeds – optional; alternate would be white sesame seeds
- Turmeric Powder
- Green Chilies
- Lemon juice
This rui mach bhapa recipe is so healthy and absolutely fuss-free. You can either steam it on your stove-top steamer or cook it in your microwave oven. Both ways, it is absolutely delicious!
In case you are looking for more interesting and delicious fish recipes, here are few of them from my blog.
- Kolkata Fish Fry Recipe
- Grilled Fish with Lemon Butter Sauce Recipe
- Doi Maach | Bengali Fish in Yogurt Curry Recipe
- Rui Macher Jhal | Bengali Fish Stew Recipe
- Microwave Bhapa Chingri Recipe | Steamed Prawn Curry
- Kolkata-style Gravy Chilli Fish Recipe
- Shorshe Bata Diye Tilapia Macher Recipe | Tilapia in Bengali Mustard Fish Curry
Have you tried this recipe? I would love to hear about it. Leave a comment below along with a rating to let me and others know about it.
Tag me on Instagram @priyankabhattacharya.sa or Facebook @hashdiaries and I will share it further.
- 4 nos. Rui maach / Rohu Fish / Carp
- 1 tsp Mustard Seed Powder
- 1,1/2 tsp Poppy Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3 Green Chilies
- Salt to Taste
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- If you are using Mustard Seeds powder like me, then soak it with some salt in warm to tepid water for 10 minutes.
Take Poppy seeds and buzz them with some water to make a smooth paste of it. Now, add the soaked mustard powder in it and pulse it together with some turmeric powder, lemon juice and a green chili.
- Take a glass baking dish and put it in your steamer. Now, dip each piece of fish in the mustard-poppy paste and lay it in the baking dish. Once all the fish pieces are laid side-by-side, pour the remaining paste over the fishes.
- Drizzle some mustard oil on top and lay 2 green chilies slit in halves.
- Now, steam it for 7-10 minutes or till the fish has been cooked properly. Once done you will see that the flesh has turned white inside.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.