This chicken bharta recipe is spicy chicken recipe where shredded chicken is cooked with Indian spices. This is a great way to use up any leftover roasted chicken and re-purpose it for a delicious weekday dinner. This is a great make ahead ‘meal-prep’ recipe which would definitely ease up the planning for weekday dinner menu.
Recipe prep for Chicken Bharta!
Were you looking for chicken bharta recipe dhaba style? Let me put this disclaimer out that if you are looking for Kolkata-style Chicken Bharta, this won’t be that. I prefer the version of bharta chicken that is usually found at the dhabas or Indian highway-side restaurant menu. Its rich, spicy and has a touch of North Indian flavours to it.
Word is that the chicken bharta recipes came into being when one such dhaba owner was left with a ton-load of roasted chicken. In an attempt to re-purpose all that leftover chicken, he shredded it and then fried it with the Indian spice-mix to give birth to this epic dish of Chicken Bharta.
I follow the rich and spicy preparation for making the murgh bharta. It has a rich gravy base of onion, tomatoes, ginger and garlic cooked in Indian spices. Giving this recipe of chicken bharta its royal flavour.
Recipe instructions for Chicken Bharta
- Most of the time, I start by cooking the chicken. Simply add them to your pressure cooker with very little water, a pinch of salt, and freshly crushed pepper. Let it whistle for 2-3 times. This will cook the chicken perfectly.
- Once it is cool enough to handle, remove the chicken pieces from the stock (broth) and shred them using a fork. Discard any pieces of bones attached to the chicken pieces.
Save the Chicken stock for later. You will require some of it for the Chicken Bharta. Rest can be used to make my Clear Chicken Soup recipe.
- An easier alternative would be to buy some roasted chicken, simply de-bone the chicken and shred it using your fingers or 2 forks.
- In a thick bottom pan, heat some oil and add the finely chopped onion, tomato, ginger and garlic. Add the spices and prepare the gravy base for the bharta chicken
- Once the mix is fried and you see the oil separate, drop the shredded chicken and give it a good mix.
- There are a couple of ways to finish the dish with extra flavours. You can add some finely chopped fresh coriander leaves. Or a drizzle of ghee and some Bengali Garam Masala powder. Sometimes I add a couple of drops each of Rose water and Kewra Extract for the Mughlai flavors.
Serving suggestions for this Chicken Bharta recipe
This chicken bharta recipe is spicy chicken recipe where shredded chicken is cooked with Indian spices. This is a great way to use up any leftover roasted chicken and re-purpose it for a delicious weekday dinner. This is a great make ahead 'meal-prep' recipe which would definitely ease up the planning for weekday dinner menu.
- 250 gms Shredded Chicken Boiled Roasted will also work
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1 Onion Large, Finely Chopped
- 2 Tomatoes Medium, Finely Chopped
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic Chopped
- ½ inch Ginger grated
- 1 tsp Dried Fenugreek Leaves or Kasoori Methi
- Salt to Taste
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Sweet Paprika or Kashmiri Lal Mirch Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 4 tbsp Chicken Stock Or, Water
- Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves to Garnish
Heat the oil in a pan till it smokes, lower the heat and allow the oil to cool a bit.
then add the finely chopped Onion, Garlic, Ginger and Tomatoes. Stir everything and mix them well.
Once the reduce in half, add the powdered spices and kasoori methi or dried fenugreek leaves.
the best way to add the kasoori methi is to crush them between your palms first and then adding. This way, they release their flavour well.
Once the spice mix is cooked completely and you see oil bubbling at the edges, add the chicken stock or water. Mix everything well.
Chicken stock will add a ton of flavour.
Now, add the shredded chicken and mix.
At this stage, check for seasoning. Add as required.
Turn off the heat and add freshly chopped Coriander leaves. Serve hot with rotis, naans or chapattis.