Clear Chicken Soup Recipe for the Body & Soul
Does a bowl of soup remind you of winters? Well, we can all agree that clear chicken soups are very comforting and make for hearty dishes. With a medley of vegetables and protein, they make a bowl a complete meal when had with a side of Garlic Bread or a simply toasted Challah.
But, if you are like me who loves to have soups throughout the year, then you are in luck because this Chinese chicken clear soup recipe is so light that it can be enjoyed whole year round.
Whether you are looking for something refreshing and non-fussy for summer weekday dinners or something nutritious and healthy for a cosy winter evening, this chicken soup with vegetables is an answer to that.
How to make Chicken Soup at home?
To make this soup, all you need is a handful of shredded chicken and a few ingredients to put this recipe together. So, we will start with chicken pieces with bones and pressure cook them till they can be shredded into threads.
Next, we will need some vegetables to make this chicken soup hearty. Personally I don’t go overboard and allow the chicken to be the masterpiece of this soup recipe. So, I add a couple of stalks of Spring Onion or Scallions, Garlic, Ginger, a few Broccoli florets and freshly chopped Coriander leaves.
How to make Chicken Soup – Ingredients list
- Shredded Boiled Chicken
- Spring Onion or normal Onion, if unavailable
- Coriander Leaves
- Refined Sunflower Oil – also may use EVOO or Rice Bran Oil
- Salt To taste
- Pepper Freshly Cracked
- White Vinegar
How to make soups for kids?
If you are thinking of making chicken and vegetable soup for kids, you may as well add few more vegetables into this clear chicken soup recipe. Onions, Tomatoes, Carrots, Spinach, Leeks, Bottle Gourd, Green Papaya, etc. go very well into the soups. Each one of them is supremely healthy and nutritious. Cut them into smaller cubes and you fussy eater would be none the wiser!!
If you need more inspiration for soups for kids, I have Mix Vegetable Soup Recipe here on my food blog.
This Chicken Clear Recipe is also perfect for the infants who are already on semi-solids. So, if you are thinking of introducing Chicken to her diet, then you may as well start with this recipe. Simply start by offering her the clear liquid of the soup. The watery consistency of the soup with its distinct flavour profile will definitely be of interest to your baby. In such case, you may completely avoid the use of Pepper in this recipe.
You can serve this clear chicken soup as a mild appetizer or something that can heal you up after a severe bout of cold. This chicken clear soup is excellent for weight loss as well. You can also try my Chicken Sandwich recipe if you are looking for snack recipes.
Whatever be the reason, this soup is an answer for that. I personally like this soup for breakfasts with a side of boiled eggs and buttered slices of bread. It keeps me full for next few hours and gives me ample nourishment to start the day.
A couple more Chicken recipe which might interest you:
- Lemongrass Chicken
- Chicken Tikka Naan Tacos
- Bengali Chicken Curry
- Chicken Bharta
- Chicken & Cheese Kebab
- Chicken Shami Kebab
- Chicken Korma with Kebabs
- Khada Masala Chicken Curry
- Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken
This Chinese Clear Chicken Soup recipe is amazing for winter soups. It is also good for weight loss, or when you are recovering from a severe bout of cough and cold. This Chicken clear soup recipe is good for kids as well.
- 1 cup Shredded Chicken Boiled
- 1/4 cup Spring Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 tsp. Garlic Finely Chopped
- 1 tsp. Ginger Finely Chopped
- 2 tsp. Coriander Leaves Finely Chopped
- 1 tbsp. Refined Oil
- Salt To taste
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper Freshly Cracked
- 1/2 tsp. White Vinegar
- 2 cups Water
- For Shredded Chicken: Pressure-cook the chicken pieces with little water and salt till it is soft and tender.
- Allow it to cool, and then de-bone the pieces. Using a fork, shred the chicken in small threads. Also, reserve the water as we would use it in soup.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the chopped Green Onions, Garlic and Ginger. Allow it to sweat a bit and turn white.
- Now, add the shredded chicken and season it with salt and pepper. Be careful with the salt as the juice which is left after cooking the chicken also has some salt in it.
- Stir it for a minute or two as the chicken does not need any more cooking.
- Now, add the leftover chicken juice and water to make the soup.
- Add the Vinegar and Coriander leaves and allow it to boil.
- Check for seasoning before serving.
📌 Pin How to Make Clear Chicken Soup Recipe for later!
This recipe was first published on November 21, 2017. Subsequently updated on July 2, 2020 with video recipe tutorial.