This Ginger & Pear Cake is the perfect summer tea cake recipe baked with fresh fruit, Pear. The juicy pears sitting elegantly on the top of a ginger & almond perfumed cake makes for the perfect cake for a high-tea or a Sunday brunch with family.
As fancy as it may sound but this fresh fruit pear cake is easy and can be made with pantry basic ingredients. Read below for detailed recipe on how to make a pear cake.
I had 2 pears breathing their last, down in my veggie bin. So, thought of baking with them. For secondary flavours, I have used grated Ginger and a hint of Almond extract. The result blew my mind.
I never knew how crunchy and delicious the pear would become after baking. Plus, ginger works so well in baked goods.
How to make Ginger & Pear Cake – Ingredients list
- All-purpose Flour
- Refined Sunflower Oil – or any other neutral flavoured oil
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda
- Almond Extract – optional
- Fresh Ginger
Here, I have used 2 considerably medium sized pears and cut them in halves to place them on top of the cake. You may, as well, use more of these and top the cake as you may like.
However you choose to do, in the end these pears will bake into juicy and crunchy, to give an amazing texture to the cake.
After we had this one, I knew this would be on a repeat in my kitchen, as long as fresh pears are available in the market. But if you can’t find any, then canned ones would be perfect as well.
Simply drain them on a sieve for sometime so that extra liquid gets discarded. Pat them dry on a kitchen towel, before placing them on your cake batter. This would make sure that there’s no extra moisture from the fruits into the batter, which might make the cake soggy.
Few other Fresh Fruit Cakes that might interest you!
- Mango Semolina Cake
- Mango Cake with Cardamom Cream
- Mango Sponge Cake
- Lime Cake with Strawberry Swirls
- Lemon Mug Cake
- Carrot Mug Cake
- Sweet Lime Cake (Mausambi Cake)
- Orange Cranberry Loaf Cake
- Norwegian Bløtkake or Strawberry Cake
- Diet Banana Honey-Cinnamon Cake
- Eggless Banana Chocolate Cake
This Ginger & Pear Cake is the perfect summer tea cake recipe baked with fresh fruit, Pear. The juicy pears sitting elegantly on the top of a ginger & almond perfumed cake makes for the perfect cake for a high-tea or a sunday brunch with family.
- 2 Pears Each cut in 4 pieces
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour With 2 tbsp of it replaced with equal amount of Cornflour
- 1/3 cup Refined Oil
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ cup Milk
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Ginger grated
- Take a bowl and mix all the dry ingredients together. Sieve them through and keep them aside.
- Now, in another bowl, whisk the eggs with a pinch of salt, till light and almost 3 times in its volume.
Add grated ginger, oil and almond extract to the eggs and whisk them vigorously till light and airy.
- Now, add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with milk and mix gently. Once you see that the dry ingredients have incorporated nicely, stop mixing.
Now, pour the batter in a slightly oiled and floured cake tin and bake it at 180c for 35-40 minutes. Arrange the pieces of pears on the top.
Once you see that the cake has baked and the sides are pulling back from the edges, you know that it is done.
Take it out and brush some honey on top for some glaze. Allow it to cool in the cake tin for 10 minutes before turning it upside down on wire rack to cool down completely.