Have you been buying your stock of Yogurt from the market? How about making some easily at home! Wow, did I scare you already? Don’t worry, I have you covered here. In this post, I have shared the step-by-step process of how to make your own homemade yogurt using fresh milk. That’s it. All you need here is just 2 very simple things, fresh milk and some of the leftover yogurt from your previous batch.
I know many of you have had a terrible experience in the past with making yogurt at home. But let me tell you some of the things which might go wrong and ruin your experience. So that next time you can totally avoid those mistakes and get a delicious bowl of homemade yogurt.
Basically, this isn’t a recipe post but more of a discussion post where I will be listing out the tricks of making perfect homemade yogurt.
How To Make Yogurt At Home? Homemade Yogurt Making Process
If you come to think of it, how difficult it could be to turn your milk into yogurt! Well, let me tell you, it isn’t at all. To get the desirable result, all we have to do is to take care of some basic points and you will get yourself whey-free Greek yogurt.
- First and foremost, using good quality milk with a high-fat content level is the best milk for making yogurt. The more the fat content in the milk, the thicker the yogurt will turn out to be.
- If you do not have full cream milk or high-fat content milk, then you can reduce the milk by boiling it for some time. Let it get thicker with a lesser amount of water in it.
- Use a clean glass bowl to set the yogurt. Ensure that it is free of any residue or dishwashing detergent in it.
- Choose a warm place in your kitchen or dining space to allow the yogurt to set.
- Cover it and leave it undisturbed for 3-4 hours on a hot day. If you think that the climate isn’t as hot as it should be then you can leave it overnight in a warm place.
- During winters, you can use your Microwave Oven to provide a warm place for your yogurt to set. Pre-heat the oven and then switch it off before placing the yogurt bowl in it.
Honestly, I have read people putting a green chilli in the milk before allowing it to set for a yogurt, I have never found that necessary.
How to make perfectly set & creamy Yogurt at home – Ingredients list
- Yogurt culture – leftover Yogurt from your previous batch
Step-by-step instructions on how to make homemade Yogurt using fresh milk
I have listed the steps on how to make homemade yogurt using fresh milk
Heat a litre of full cream milk to a lukewarm temperature. Here, you should be able to dip your finger in the milk without burning or scalding it. Remember such a mild temperature is perfect for yogurt
Prefer using fresh culture samples for making homemade yogurt. Take 2 tbsp. of culture and whisk it well. Now, put this in the milk and stir it well
Pour the milk into a clean glass bowl and leave it covered and undisturbed in a warm place for the next few hours
Check after a few hours by gently shaking the bowl gently. If the yogurt is set, it would wobble a bit. If it hasn’t it would be still liquid and best-kept undisturbed for the next couple of hours or so. Once the yogurt is set, refrigerate it otherwise it will turn too sour
In case you wish to check out my quick video on how to make yogurt at home easily, click here to watch it on YouTube.
Coming back to my yogurt love, I confess to my affinity for a wide range of varieties in it. Mishti Doi or Bengali Sweet Yogurt is something that can be found in my refrigerator at all times. It is a sweetened version of yogurt which is often enjoyed as a sweet dish after a meal.
Check out some of the easy & healthy recipes using Yogurt
- Doi Maach | Bengali Fish in Yogurt Curry Recipe
- Doi Lau | Dahi Lauki Recipe
- Dahi Vada | Dahi Bhalla | Doi Bora Recipe
- Dahi Aloo | Potato in Yogurt Curry Recipe
- Instant Bhatura [Video Recipe]
- Instant Naan Recipe
This post was first published on May 29, 2020, and later republished on April 19, 2022 with new images and a more elaborate description of the recipe.
Can I use epigamia plain yogurt instead of culture to make more yogurt at home?
You can give it a try. use unflavored yogurt to set your Yogurt at home. Honestly I feel the sour the setting yogurt, the better are the results. Do let me know how it turns out for you.