This Green Mango Salad is perhaps the most recurring salad on our summer menu. Jokingly we call it ‘Hara-aam-zada‘ (a term often meant for an obnoxious person) but here hara aam means green unripened mango and zada depicts the moreish nature of this raw mango salad. All in all an amazingly lip-smackingly good salad recipe that can be a delicious snack on its own.
This Indian version of raw mango salad is slightly similar to the Thai Green Mango Salad or Som Tum Mamuang, except it is completely vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and nuts free. This plant-based green mango salad recipe is delicious and healthy in different ways. In this post, I have described the exact way of putting together this tangy unripe mango salad recipe.
What is a Green Mango Salad?
In South East Asian countries, green mango recipes are quite popular. Owing to its abundance and the tropical climate, this unripened fruit helps beat the heat during the sweltering summer months of the year. There can be several versions of a green mango salad recipe, perhaps every country has its own unique way of making this.
The Thai Green Mango Salad uses shrimp and peanuts along with raw mango and other vegetables. In this Indian style raw mango salad, we are going to keep it 100% vegetarian, in fact, vegan. And also nuts-free, dairy free and gluten-free. Let’s quickly check out the ingredients for this green mango salad.
How to make Green Mango Salad – Ingredients list
- Raw or Green Mango
- Green Chilies – optional
- Fresh Coriander Leaves
- Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper
For this salad recipe, we are going to cut the vegetables into small cubes. You can use dicer or chopper to get evenly cut pieces. Otherwise, use your trusted knife. Once you are done with the salad vegetables, mix them in a bowl. Now, prep the green mango by peeling it and grating it using a cheese grater.
You can grate it directly in the bowl of vegetables. Simply grate along the sides of the seed at the centre of the fruit. Stop when the seed gets exposed. Discard the seed, or save it in a box if you are planning to make some Green Mango Dal soon. I have linked the recipe here.
Season the salad with salt, pepper and sugar. Add the juice of one whole lemon and give everything a good and vigorous mix. Serve immediately.
Special Tips for this Indian style Green Mango Salad recipe
- Adjust the amount of green mango for this salad. Every mango is different in terms of its sourness and we want a good balance of flavours. Not something that would cause your jaws to lock!! So, while grating and adding the mango, keep a check
- If you do not prefer the taste of raw onions in your salad, then skip it. Or, use yellow onions which are milder in taste. Shallots are fine as well. You may also use dried onion flakes instead of fresh onion
- We like some heat in our salads to balance the sourness by adding finely chopped green chilies. However, you may skip it or replace it with dried red chilli flakes
- Do not skip the sugar. It brings together all the flavours
- This salad is best served immediately otherwise the vegetables start releasing the water and lose their crunchiness and all the wonderful texture
How to serve this raw mango salad?
This raw mango salad is the perfect accompaniment to any meal. Also it can be a delicious snack between the meals. We love to make this delicious yet so easy salad to go with some chilled beer over the weekends.
Make Ahead Options
Honestly, I won’t suggest you make this ahead of time. This salad is all about its fresh flavours and texture, and all of that goes out of the window when it is prepared ahead of time. At best, you can grate the green mango and refrigerate it. Then combine it with the fresh salad before serving.
Looking for more unripe Mango recipes? Check these out.
- Dim Kosha or Egg Pot Roast
- Dim Shorshe or Eggs cooked in Mustard Gravy
- Dimer Porota or Indian Flatbread stuffed with Egg
- Moglai Porota or Indian Flatbread stuffed with minced meat and egg
- Dim Pauruti or Savory Egg Toast
- Dimer Devil or Egg Croquettes
- Dimer Dalna | Bengali Egg Curry Recipe
- Dimer Omelette Curry
This Indian version of raw mango salad is slightly similar to the Thai Green Mango Salad or Som Tum Mamuang, except it is completely vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and nuts free. This plant-based green mango salad recipe is delicious and healthy in different ways. In this post I have described the exact way of putting together this tangy unripe mango salad recipe.
- 1 Raw or Green Mango
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Green Chilies – optional
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander Leaves Finely Chopped
- 1 Lemon
- Salt & Pepper As per taste
- 1 tsp Sugar
Prep the green mango by peeling it and grating it using a cheese grater.
Cut the salad vegetables into small cubes. Use vegetable dicer or chopper or Food Processor
Combine the chopped vegetables with grated raw mango and the rest of the ingredients. Mix it well and serve