Kolkata-style Veg Chowmein is a popular Indian dish that is popularly sold at street side stalls all around the city of Kolkata. It is a spicy and savory noodle dish that is bursting with flavor and is a favorite among vegetarians. Here is a complete guide to preparing the perfect Kolkata Style Veg Chowmein recipe in your own kitchen.
If you’re a fan of Indian cuisine, chances are you’ve tried or at least heard of Kolkata-style Veg Chowmein. This dish, which originated in the bustling city of Kolkata (formerly known as Calcutta), is a popular street food that has since become a staple in Indian households and restaurants worldwide.
What’s special about Kolkata Chowmein?
Kolkata-style Veg Chowmein is a type of stir-fried noodle that is typically made with a variety of vegetables and a spicy sauce. The noodles used in the dish are usually egg noodles or Chinese-style wheat noodles that have been boiled and then stir-fried with vegetables like cabbage, carrots, and bell peppers.
Now that you know a little bit about the history and ingredients of Kolkata-style Veg Chowmein, let’s get into the recipe itself. Here’s how to make it:
How to make Kolkata Veg Chowmein – Ingredients list
- 2 x 200 gms Noodles pack
- 2 cups mixed vegetables – onions, bell pepper, baby corn, spring onion
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Sauces – soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, chili sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh cilantro or scallions, for garnish
Step-by-step instructions for this Veg Chowmein recipe in Kolkata style
- Cook the noodles according to package instructions until they are al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large wok or frying pan over high heat.
- Drop the sliced garlic and stir till it becomes fragrant and slightly golden
- Add the mixed vegetables and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until they are tender but still crispy
- Now add the sauces and give everything a stir
- Add the cooked noodles to the pan and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until everything is well combined
- Garnish with spring onion and serve hot
Tips on how to make perfect Kolkata Veg Chowmein:
- Prepare the noodles and vegetables in advance to make the cooking process faster
- Only half cook the noodles so that when you stir fry them with veggies and sauces, it retains their non-sticky texture
- Use a wok or large frying pan to give the dish the perfect texture
- Cook the veggies in stages as per their cooking time. For instance, carrots need a longer time to soften whereas spring onion should be added at the end to retain its crunchiness
- Cook the dish on high heat to ensure that the noodles don’t get mushy
Kolkata Style Veg Chowmein: A Fusion of Indian and Chinese Cuisine
This street-style veggie chowmein is a great example of the fusion of Indian and Chinese cuisine. Kolkata has a long history of cultural exchange and migration, and the city’s food reflects this diversity. The Chinese community in Kolkata has been around for over 200 years and has had a significant influence on the city’s cuisine.
One of the most famous examples of this culinary fusion is Kolkata-style Vegetable Chowmein. The dish takes traditional Chinese stir-fried noodles and gives them a spicy Indian twist with the addition of aromatic spices and vegetables.
Not only is Kolkata-style Veggie Chowmein delicious, but it’s also a healthy meal option. The dish is packed with nutrients from the variety of vegetables used, including fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Kolkata-style Veg Chowmein is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for vegetarians
Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy meal or something a little more adventurous, Kolkata style Veg Chowmein is sure to satisfy your cravings. So go ahead, give it a try, and savor the flavors of Kolkata in every bite.
Few easier noodle & pasta recipes from the Blog
- Sausage Noodles Stir-fry Recipe
- Creamy Chicken Stroganoff Pasta Recipe
- Bacon and Farfalle Pasta Recipe In Creamy Sauce
Have you tried this recipe? I would love to hear about it.
Tag me on Instagram @priyankabhattacharya.sa or Facebook @hashdiaries and I will share it further.
Looking for a delicious and authentic Kolkata style veg chowmein recipe? Look no further! Our recipe is packed with flavor and easy to make at home. Get step-by-step instructions and expert tips to make your chowmein perfect every time. Try it out today!
- 2 200 gms Noodles pack
- 2 cups Mixed vegetables onions, bell pepper, baby corn, spring onion
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- Sauces soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, chili sauce
- 2 Garlic cloves sliced
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro or scallions for garnish
Cook the noodles according to package instructions until they are al dente. Drain and set aside.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large wok or frying pan over high heat.
Drop the sliced garlic and stir till it becomes fragrant and slightly golden
Add the mixed vegetables and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until they are tender but still crispy
Now add the sauces and give everything a stir
Add the cooked noodles to the pan and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until everything is well combined
Garnish with spring onion and serve hot