This Nutella swirl loaf cake is the perfect afternoon tea cake that comes together quickly and easy. Simply whisk together eggs, oil and some good quality vanilla extract with flour and then swirl the top of the batter with a good dollop of Nutella. That’s it. In 35 minutes flat you get a delicious vanilla Nutella cake and a house that smells like a bakery.
The base recipe for the vanilla cake is my ever-so-popular vanilla sponge cake recipe which has been tried and baked by all of you, over and over again. So, turning that superstar of a cake recipe into this Nutella Swirl Cake is a kind of no-brainer. In this post, I have listed out the vanilla sponge cake recipe once again as I chalk out the details of this vanilla and nutella marble cake.
How to make a Vanilla Nutella Cake?
Time and again I tell you why you should stick this easy homemade vanilla cake recipe to your fridge because you can make so many different types of desserts using this basic cake recipe. This Vanilla Cake recipe is even easier than baking those boxed cake mixes also way cheaper. So skip the thought of adding Nutella to vanilla cake mix by baking this Nutella swirl cake by scratch.
You can always put your own twist to this by bringing in variation by baking this in different moulds. For instance, here I have baked a loaf cake, but you can use a muffin pan, bundt cake pan or even a normal cake tin to bake this vanilla sponge cake with nutella.
How to make Nutella Sponge Cake with Nutella Swirls – Ingredients List
- All-Purpose Flour
- Refined Oil – for instance any refined neutral oil such as Sunflower Oil, Canola Oil, etc.
- Granulated Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Whole Milk
- Vanilla Extract
- Nutella spread or any other Chocolate-Hazelnut Spread
Step-by-step process of baking this Vanilla and Nutella Marble Cake
- Take a large mixing bowl and mix all the dry ingredients together. Sieve them through and keep them aside
- Now, in another large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with a pinch of salt till light and fluffy. It should increase almost 3 times in its volume
- Add oil and vanilla extract to the eggs and whisk them vigorously
- Now, add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk and mix gently. You can use silicon or a wooden spatula here. Once you see that the dry ingredients have incorporated nicely, stop mixing
- Now, pour the batter into a lightly oiled and floured cake tin. I use a non-stick baking pan which makes my life so much easier in unmoulding the cake
- Use a spoon and drop small drops of Nutella spread on the top of the cake batter. Run a skewer through the Nutella drops to create beautiful swirls
- Now, bake it in a pre-heated oven at 180c for 35 minutes. Once you see that the cake has baked and the sides are pulling back from the edges, you know that it is done
- Take it out and allow it to cool in the cake tin for 10 minutes before turning it upside down on a wire rack to cool down completely
Variations to this Nutella Swirl Cake
Nutella is a very popular spread which most of the households have, but that doesn’t mean we cannot be any more creative with our cakes. You can always bring about different twists to this cake recipe with your own imagination and available ingredients in your pantry. Let me help you with a couple of ideas to get you started.
- Chocolate Swirl Cake using Cocoa Spread or Chocolate Syrup
- Peanut Butter Swirl Cake using Peanut Butter
- Strawberry Swirl Cake using Strawberry Compote or Jam – you can try my Lime Cake with Strawberry Swirls Recipe where I flavoured the cake batter with Sweet Lime juice
- Blueberry Swirl Cake using Blueberry Compote or Jam – you can check out my recipe for Lemon Blueberry Cake Recipe where I used fresh Lemon juice to flavour my sponge cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Cake
Ingredients Substitution Ideas for this Nutella Swirl Loaf Cake
If you wish to make a vegan Nutella Swirl Cake, then substitute the eggs with 1/2 tsp Baking Powder & 5 tbsp of non-dairy milk. You might also replace the whole milk with any other non-dairy milk in equal quantity.
Also, please bear in mind that Nutella is not vegan as it has milk or milk products in it. So, you may have to use a vegan substitute to it.
If you want to make this vanilla nutella cake extra indulgent then you can definitely go for butter instead of oil. That would make this cake buttery, rich and extra delicious.
In case you are looking for more amazing cake ideas for baking at home, here’s a quick list to get you started
- Vanilla Loaf
- Spiced Apple Cake Recipe
- Mango Semolina Cake
- Lime Cake with Strawberry Swirls Recipe
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Fruit & Nuts Whole Wheat Cake Recipe
- Kardemummakaka – Swedish Cardamom Cake Recipe for Fika
- Sweet Lime Cake | Mausambi Cake Recipe
- Fruit & Nut Cake Recipe
- Orange Cranberry Loaf Cake Recipe
- Devil’s Food Cake | Dark Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache Recipe
- Norwegian Bløtkake or Strawberry Cake Recipe
- Thyme Infused Lemon Glazed Cake Recipe
- Sugar-free Banana Cake Recipe
- Eggless & Diet Chocolate Banana Cake Recipe
This nutella swirl loaf cake is the perfect afternoon tea cake that comes together quickly and easy. Simply whisk together eggs, oil and some good quality vanilla extract with flour and then swirl the top of the batter with a good dollop of Nutella. That's it. In 35 minutes flat you get a delicious vanilla nutella cake and a house that smells like a bakery.
- 1½ cup All-Purpose Flour With 2 tbsp of it replaced with equal amount of Cornflour
- ½ cup Refined Oil
- 1/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- Nutella For topping
- Take a bowl and mix all the dry ingredients together. Sieve them through and keep them aside.
- Now, in another bowl, whisk the eggs with a pinch of salt, till light and almost 3 times in its volume.
- Add oil and vanilla extract to the eggs and whisk them vigorously till light and airy.
- Now, add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk and mix gently. Once you see that the dry ingredients have incorporated nicely, stop mixing.
Now, pour the batter in a lightly oiled and floured cake tin
Use a spoon and drop small drops of Nutella spread on the top of the cake batter. Run a skewer through the Nutella drops to create beautiful swirls
Bake it at 180c for 35 minutes in a pre-heated oven. Once you see that the cake has baked and the sides are pulling back from the edges, you know that it is done.
- Take it out and allow it to cool in the cake tin for 10 minutes before turning it upside down on a wire rack to cool down completely.