Do you often crave simple and comforting food after a series of festive indulgences? I know I do and for those days I keep a stack of easy and simple Rohu fish Bengali recipes which can be quick and light on the stomach. This রুই মাছের ঝাল Rui Macher Jhal recipe is the perfect detox food recipe that goes easy on your digestion yet delivers a power-packed fish recipe.
When talking about Macher Jhal Bengali recipe, essentially translates into a fish-based dish that has been cooked with Green Chilies and a choice of other spices. One way to cook Bhapa Rui or Rohu fish is the Bengali Mustard paste recipe where the fish is stewed with Mustard paste or, in the way I have made it here, a pinch of Nigella seeds and slit Green Chilies. Top it with a handful of Coriander leaves and you are sorted.
In case you are looking for more interesting and delicious fish recipes, here are a few of them from my blog.
Katla Mach / Rohu Fish or Rui Maach Recipes
- Rui Macher Jhal | Bengali Fish Stew Recipe
- Aloo Phulkopi diye Rui Macher Jhol Recipe
- Aloo Diye Macher Jhal Recipe
- Doi Maach | Bengali Fish in Yogurt Curry Recipe
- Katla Macher Tel diye Bhat Chorchori Recipe
Baramundi / Basa/ Tilapia Recipes
- Kolkata Fish Fry Recipe
- Grilled Fish with Lemon Butter Sauce Recipe
- Kolkata-style Gravy Chilli Fish Recipe
- Shorshe Bata Diye Tilapia Macher Recipe | Tilapia in Bengali Mustard Fish Curry
Fish Head Recipes
Ilish Mach or Hilsa Recipes
- Sorshe Ilish Macher Jhal | Bengali Hilsa in Mustard Curry Recipe
- Ilish Maach Bhaja & Bhapa Ilish│Bengali Fried Hilsa & Steamed Hilsa Curry Recipe
- Shorshe Bhapa Ilish | Bengali Hilsa Fish Curry Recipe
Some other fish or seafood recipes
- Microwave Bhapa Chingri Recipe | Steamed Prawn Curry
- Loittya Maach er Jhuro | Bengali Bombay Duck Stir-Fry
When talking about Macher Jhal Bengali recipe, it essentially translates into a fish based dish which has been cooked with Green Chilies and a choice of other spices.
- 2 nos. Rohu Fish pieces
- 1/4 tsp Nigella Seeds or Kalo Jeera or Kalonji
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 2 Green Chilies Slit in halves
- 1/2 cup Water
- Salt To Taste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Chopped Coriander Leaves
Heat oil in a pan. Temper it with Nigella seeds/Kalo Jeera/Kalonji and Green Chilies.
Once it starts spluttering, place the fish pieces in it. Fry each side for 2-3 minutes of high heat till it turns golden.
Once done, add water, Salt and Turmeric Powder. Allow this to simmer for another minute or two.
Before serving top it with finely chopped Coriander leaves.
It is always advisable to marinate the fish with some salt and turmeric powder before cooking. This ensures that salt seeps in and seasons the fish properly.
This post was first published on Nov 03, 2017, and later republished on Feb 26, 2023, with new images and a more elaborate description of the recipe.