Diet-Friendly Eggless Banana Chocolate Cake Recipe
Trying to cut carbs and fat out of your life? But you do have a prominent sweet-tooth, just like me? Then this eggless Banana Cake recipe is perfect for you.
Honestly, I worked out this recipe when I had to bake a cake for my parents who are under strict diet restrictions. Both of them are instructed to avoid cholesterol rich food, along with some other food items known to contain fat. So, they completely avoid everything that goes into making a cake! Imagine how difficult it becomes to bake a cake for such diet-conscious foodies.
So, I made some drastic changes to my Plain Vanilla Sponge Cake Recipe which luckily enough turned out superb. I will list out some of the changes here, which are completely reversible if you choose to.
- Eggs: I completely omitted eggs and made this into an eggless cake. Since bananas are an excellent substitute to eggs, so it made my cake moist and dense.
- Sugar: No sugar. Already bananas have naturally occurring sugar in them. I added 1/4 cup Honey to boost the sweetness in the recipe. Basically to counter the bitterness of chocolate.
- Flour: Normally I go full-swing with 100% All Purpose Flour or Maida, but here I switched half of it with Whole wheat Flour or Atta.
- Butter: Again, no Butter. I used Canola Oil. You can use Rice-bran Oil or Sunflower Oil instead as well.
- Chocolate: I have used unsweetened Cocoa Powder, which are again sugar-free.
I hope I have been able to tell you exactly how I have swapped some of the key ingredients of a cake with healthier alternates. Also let me tell you that no body at my place could actually make any difference in the taste as well as in the texture of this banana cake.
This Banana Cake is slightly more dense as it has 50% Whole Wheat Flour which adds to the texture. It is a perfect healthy alternative to dense Chocolate Cake which often rides with more calories and guilt!
- 1 Banana Over-ripened
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1/2 cup Maida or APF
- 1/2 cup Atta or Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/3 cup Refined Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Milk
Mash the Banana into smooth.
Combine the dry ingredients and sieve them twice to incorporate some air and make them light.
Now, in a separate bowl whisk together the mashed Banana, Oil, Honey and Vanilla Extract. You can use Electric Hand Beater or Stand Mixer for this to gain maximum volume.
Prepare the cake tin by buttering and flouring the inside of the tin. Pre-heat the oven.
Now, gradually the mix the dry ingredients in wet in 3 parts. Loosen the batter with the help of Milk.
Pour the batter in the cake tin and tap it hard to knock out any large air bubble.
Bake it at 180c for 35-40 minutes or till you see the cake top is dry and it starts pulling away from the tin.
Poke a skewer in the center of the cake and if it comes out clean, its done.
Allow it to cool in the cake tin for 10 minutes then take it out on a wire rack.