Recreating memories of Date Walnut Slice Cake of Monginis (Mio Amore)
Have you ever been to Kolkata’s iconic confectionery chain, Monginis (now known as Mio Amore)? If you have then you must have tried their Date Walnut Slice Cake. A bite into this will transform you to the world of guilty pleasures. This Chocolate Date Walnut cake recipe is my version of recreating the same.
Few years back we saw all the Monginis outlets re-branded as Mio Amore. Thank God they didn’t mess up the menu. Whatever be the name of the shop, their Date Walnut Slice Cake has been my top favorite for as long as I can remember.
Slight hint of spices like Cinnamon, a generous helping of dates along with the crunch of walnuts, each slice is perfect for your evening cup of tea.
In my re-creation, I brought this in the form of a Chocolate Cake with Dates & Walnuts.
This Date Walnut Chocolate Cake is loosely based on the Date Walnut Slice Cake of Mio Amore. This is perfect to go with your evening cup of tea or breakfast cup of coffee.
- 1.5 cup All Purpose Flour
- 3 tbsp Cornflour
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder I used Hershey's
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Oil Any neutral Refined Oil
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ cup Chopped Walnuts
- ¼ cup Chopped Dates
- ⅓ cup Milk Add extra if needed. 1 tbsp at a time.
Combine all the dry ingredients and sieve them. Add the chopped walnuts and dates in this give it a mix.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs till light. Add rest of the wet ingredients and whisk till smooth.
Prepare the loaf tin by greasing and flouring. Pre-heat the oven at 180c
- Gently mix the dry ingredients in the wet mix.
Pour it in the loaf tin and bake it at 180c till done. It took me somewhere around 45 minutes or so.
- Once done, take it out and let it cool in the tin before unmoulding it.