One bite into a slice of Chocolate Date Walnut Cake and you get the crunch of walnuts along with the beautiful sweetness of dates. This cake is perfect as a snack as each slice comes with the goodness of both walnuts and dates packed in it. It is absolutely easy to make and so versatile that you can modify the recipe as it suits you.
Have you ever been to Kolkata’s iconic confectionery chain, Monginis (now known as Mio Amore)? If you have then you must have tried their Date Walnut Slice Cake. A bite into this will transform you to the world of guilty pleasures. This Chocolate Date Walnut cake recipe is my version of recreating the same.
A few years back we saw all the Monginis outlets re-branded as Mio Amore. Thank God they didn’t mess up the menu. Whatever be the name of the shop, their Date Walnut Slice Cake has been my top favourite for as long as I can remember. Slight hint of spices like Cinnamon, a generous helping of dates along with the crunch of walnuts, each slice is perfect for your evening cup of tea.
Another great thing about this Date Walnut cake recipe is that it requires all the pantry staples. If you are like me who loves to nibble on dates, then I am pretty sure you are ready to go with this recipe for walnut and date cake, right now.
How to make the perfect Date Walnut Loaf Cake – Ingredient list
- Dates – I prefer having seedless dates. They are always so handy in terms of both snacking and cooking. So, just chop them in big pieces and keep them ready for this cake recipe
- Walnut – Personally, walnuts are my favourite. I just need an excuse to bake with them. But you can always replace it with almonds, pecans, cashews or even use a mix of them.
- Cocoa Powder – I am quite sure that the traditional date walnut cake doesn’t has chocolate in it. But I like how the flavour brings rest of the flavours together. You can skip it, but I think chocolate makes everything more delicious
- All-purpose Flour – The texture of an APF cake is unbeatable. But when I am baking these loaf cakes for my regular snacking, I often switch it partially or completely with Whole Wheat Flour. So, that’s another way to go.
- Spices – A hint of cinnamon and nutmeg kind of brings this to home.
- Eggs – It adds to the richness of this Chocolate Date & Walnut Loaf Cake
- Sugar – I have kept it to a conservative quantity as dates add so much sweetness to this loaf cake.
- Refined Oil – any neutral flavoured oil like sunflower oil, canola oil, rice bran oil or light olive oil
- Milk – To maintain the consistency of the batter and some richness, milk is used in a no-butter and oil-based cake.
Alternates to make a guilt-free & healthy Date Walnut Cake
- Since dates bring much sweetness into this cake recipe, you can omit the sugar and use some jaggery instead. In this way, you can avoid refined sugar in baking this delicious date and walnut cake for your family.
- You can also replace the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour or other varieties of healthy flours like buckwheat flour, etc. in this recipe. Simple follow the rest of the instructions for this walnut date cake and adjust the baking time accordingly. Usually, cake recipes using alternate flours take a bit longer to bake so add couple more minutes to the baking time.
- This cake is already made without any butter, so use any available oil. Except for strongly flavoured oil such as extra virgin olive oil or soyabean oil.
- You may skip the eggs and add an extra teaspoon of Baking Powder to make this eggless cake recipe.
- In case you wish to make it vegan, skip the dairy and use non-dairy milk such as almond milk or oat milk
- For those who are allergic to nuts, you may skip the walnuts and add seeds instead. They are perfectly healthy substitutes to the nuts in this date cake
In case you are looking for more amazing cake ideas for baking at home, here’s a quick list to get you started
- Vanilla Loaf
- Spiced Apple Cake Recipe
- Mango Semolina Cake
- Lime Cake with Strawberry Swirls Recipe
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Fruit & Nuts Whole Wheat Cake Recipe
- Kardemummakaka – Swedish Cardamom Cake Recipe for Fika
- Sweet Lime Cake | Mausambi Cake Recipe
- Fruit & Nut Cake Recipe
- Orange Cranberry Loaf Cake Recipe
- Devil’s Food Cake | Dark Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache Recipe
- Norwegian Bløtkake or Strawberry Cake Recipe
- Thyme Infused Lemon Glazed Cake Recipe
- Sugar-free Banana Cake Recipe
- Eggless & Diet Chocolate Banana Cake Recipe
Have you tried this recipe? I would love to hear about it. Leave a comment below.
Or, click a pic and tag me when you share it on Instagram @priyankabhattacharya.sa or Facebook @hashdiaries. I would love to see you recreate my recipes with your own special twists!
This Date Walnut Chocolate Cake is loosely based on the Date Walnut Slice Cake of Mio Amore. This is perfect to go with your evening cup of tea or breakfast cup of coffee.
- 1.5 cup All Purpose Flour
- 3 tbsp Cornflour
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder I used Hershey's
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Oil Any neutral Refined Oil
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ cup Chopped Walnuts
- ¼ cup Chopped Dates
- ⅓ cup Milk Add extra if needed. 1 tbsp at a time.
Combine all the dry ingredients and sieve them. Add the chopped walnuts and dates in this give it a mix.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs till light. Add rest of the wet ingredients and whisk till smooth.
Prepare the loaf tin by greasing and flouring. Pre-heat the oven at 180c
- Gently mix the dry ingredients in the wet mix.
Pour it in the loaf tin and bake it at 180c till done. It took me somewhere around 45 minutes or so.
- Once done, take it out and let it cool in the tin before unmoulding it.