This vegetarian Mushroom Soup recipe is a classic and my family’s absolute favorite winter soup recipe. This healthy soup practically needs only one vegetable, and that is mushrooms. Along with a handful of ingredients from your pantry, it gives you a bowl of hearty and delicious soup.
I like my soups smooth and luscious, and this creamy mushroom soup recipe fits the bill perfectly. I like to pair it with a couple of slices of garlic bread slathered with butter and a sprinkle of freshly cracked peppercorns. Simple, delicious, and yet a thoroughly nutritious meal.
The best thing about this homemade mushroom soup is that it needs pantry staple ingredients along with the most commonly found variety of mushrooms, the Button Mushroom. These are also known as White mushrooms or Champignon mushrooms. Before we go to the recipe, I want to share a bit more about buying and prepping Button Mushrooms for cooking.
How To Buy Button Mushrooms from the Supermarket?
Most packs of mushrooms found at the supermarket have a date on them. Check for the freshest ones. It should not be older than 10 days. In case you are buying from your local vegetable vendor then make sure that the mushrooms are white and spotless. The stalks should be clean and there should be no browning.
Once you get the mushrooms home, store them in the original pack in the refrigerator. It is best to consume them in the next couple of days.
How To Clean Button Mushrooms with Minimum Wastage?
Most chefs or experts would say, “Do not wash Mushrooms. Just wipe them with a clean cloth and cook.” Most of the time, I find packs of mushrooms quite clean. However, every once in a while, I receive packs that contain dirty ones.
I personally prefer washing them once before preparing them. So, discard the parts of the foot of the mushrooms which have turned brown. If any portion of the head also shows browning, then gently carve that part out. Once done, rest everything is completely edible.
Take a big bowl of cold water and dip these mushrooms in it. Gently scrub them with your fingertips and remove any dirt sticking to it. Take them out of the water and allow them to drain in a sieve. While prepping for the recipe, slice them and they are ready to cook! So, let’s see what the ingredients are in mushroom soup.
Ingredients for the best Mushroom Soup recipe
- Button Mushrooms
- Olive Oil
- All-purpose Flour – alternate would be corn flour
- Salt & Pepper
Creamy mushroom soup recipe
- Once the mushrooms have been cleaned and prepped as I have explained above, we can begin the preparation of this Mushroom soup from scratch.
- Heat 1 tbsp of Butter with Olive Oil. Add the finely sliced garlic and mushrooms together in the pan and gently saute them. Add some salt to help the process.
- Once the mushroom has softened, turn off the heat and blend it into a fine puree. You may keep a few pieces of fried mushroom for garnish.
- In the same pan, heat a bit of butter and add flour. Stir for a minute before adding the milk. Whisk till it becomes smooth. You can add cream instead of milk to make this sauce creamier.
- Add the pureed mushroom back into the pan and mix it with the prepared sauce. Season with sail and pepper
- Allow it to simmer on a very low heat while stirring it constantly till it becomes nice and thick. Remove from heat and serve with the reserved slices of mushroom as toppings.
Quickly putting together some of the most asked questions for this vegetarian mushroom soup:
No, Cream of Mushroom soup is not a gluten-free soup recipe as flour is generally used to thicken the roux or the base of the soup. However, this creamy mushroom recipe can be easily modified into a gluten-free cream of mushroom soup recipe by replacing flour with corn flour. It is just as delicious and healthy.
The base of the soup can be made using cream along with chicken stock or vegetable stock. That would give this mushroom soup a creamier and richer texture
A mushroom soup can be easily made into a vegetarian soup recipe by replacing the chicken stock with vegetable one along with cream or milk
You start by sauteing the mushrooms in butter or olive oil for a couple of minutes till they soften up before proceeding with the soup recipe.
Mushroom soup needs only basic ingredients but very good quality ones for the best results. The roux is the base of the soup which needs proper attention. Use full-fat milk or cream with stock to get the best results for creamy mushroom soup.
Few more easy Mushroom Recipes from my blog
- Mushrooms sautéed in Herb Butter Sauce
- Schezwan Mushroom Recipe
- Mushroom Jhal Deva | Mushroom cooked in Mustard Sauce
- Sesame-Garlic Mushroom Stir-Fry Recipe
- Chilli Mushroom in Gravy Recipe
In case you are looking for more Soup Recipes, here are a few of them:
This vegetarian Mushroom Soup recipe is a classic and my family's absolute favorite winter soup recipe. This healthy soup practically needs only one vegetable, and that is mushrooms. Along with a handful of ingredients from your pantry, it gives you a bowl of hearty and delicious soup.
- 200 gms Button Mushroom
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 5 Cloves of Garlic Finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Milk
Heat 1 tbsp of Butter with Olive Oil. Lightly saute the sliced garlic and sliced mushrooms with salt till it softens.
Remove it from the heat and blend it into a puree. You may keep a few pieces of fried mushroom for garnish.
In the same pan, heat rest of the butter and add flour. Stir for a minute before adding the milk. Whisk till it becomes smooth.
Add salt and pepper, and the mushroom puree.
Allow it to simmer till it becomes nice and thick. remove from heat and serve.